Friday, April 6, 2012

Bata slipper


If I do not write a tribute to this, I would rot in hell. Its one of the most important things of my life. At university it was almost a synonym with my name or rather the object that symbolized me. Was part of my daily attire till I started to work at which point, I was reluctantly compelled to learn to wear shoes . This is one of the biggest regrets that I have of the corporate world.  When I used to be at campus I used to tell that "if I had my own company I would allow people to wear Bata slippers and redefine corporate attire". If Steve Job's could walk in with a turtle neck t-shirt to board meetings then why shouldn't we allow Bata too. Now ain't that "Ape Kama"! ;)

In other countries they call it as flip flops and some other names, but for us its bata slipper. Even if we are using the DSI brand of slippers, we still call it the Bata slipper. Out of jokes for our type of climate and landscapes its much much better than any other kind of footwear. Even if you are going hiking you would find that it has a better grip than the expensive branded shoes. It's one of those perfect fit for any day. Probably except on rainy days if you are not too used to it, you would be splashing mud and when you reach home you would have a nice mosaic type art on the trouser.


Normally we can wear it to almost all the places, including lectures, weddings, library, meetings, hanging out, hiking, when playing cricket, you name it... The rumor goes that I even wore it for my graduation, the truth be said "I wish I did that, but I didn't. The picture which did the rounds on the internet was a Photoshop". In case if you haven't used this you had lost half the pleasure of a true Sri Lankan lifestyle.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson? Steve Jobs is also fond of flip flops. I'm letting you read the book, to find out interesting places he turned out with them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did read it. Interesting read that book

      Delete
  3. U didn't wear slippers to a wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post! Step out in style with men's slippers that provides comfort and flexibility.

    ReplyDelete