Saturday, August 6, 2011

Monk's and Politics

When someone becomes a monk, he is supposed to disconnect himself from worldly things. He wouldn't have social bonds, he is beyond usual social categorizations, wealth is not a priority, no desires, no temptation and no ambitions. Further to this I do understand the path to self liberation is a hard continuous process and like any other human being a sanyasi should also work and develop the mind to come to a state in which all those conditions can be satisfied. I can accept the fact that they can also make mistakes in the process, just like all of us do.

Given all this one thing which is hard for me to digest is seeing Monks doing politics. It becomes even more annoying to see parties formed by them and perverting the name of the religion for their own gain. For me politics is one of the worst form of worldly pursuits, seeing a sanyasi in it I cannot stop thinking of the epitome of the irony. If your cause is liberation of mind, dude what are you doing politics?

Recently I was following the news about the fasting Sanyasi, who through his trust owns a island in Scotland and flies in private jets, fasting with a demand to eliminate corruption. The demand was good I agree that corruption should be killed but then I would have loved if he hadn't been wearing the saffron robe and wasn't planning to start a political party. What they should realize is that "when you fight with a pig, both get dirty - but the pig likes it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment