Sunday, October 30, 2011

Tuesdays with Morrie

I had grown up in a culture where speaking about death is taboo. Topic of death is usually considered a bad omen. I would be asked to shut up when playfully I refer to it. For them, speaking or thinking about death is sadism. In reality death if one of the unavoidable truths which is bound to happen, each day we spend we move one step closer to it. Its inevitable truth of life. Now I realize that instead of using it for poking fun, it has a greater meaning and can add meaning to life when used with the right thought process.

The book that induced me in this thinking is, "Tuesdays with Morrie". Its an excellent read and with a lot of candid expressions about life and death. Two of my favourite quotes from the book are,

"Everyone knows they're going to die, but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently."


"Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live".

When I was reading this book I remembered Steve Job's Standford commencement address. Listen from 8.45 in the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA

"I had looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself, if its the last day in my life will I do what I am about to do, if the answer is No continuously for a few days then I know I am on the wrong path "

The book is an excellent read and nicely laced with life's greatest lessons as seen by Morrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment